View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 AM
DON'T PANIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagz View Post
Thanks Jay,

Hmm so would that mean cam duration would be the biggest difference in a turbo cam vs a supercharged cam?(rather than timing)

Theres quite a few variables,you could almost say the factory exhaust has a similar backpressure to my turbo setup with free flow exhaust....if this was the case i guess you will simply shift the power up and down the rpm range....however if the backpressure is significantly different from OE on my turbo setup would timing help more than just shift the power band?

As for clearance checks is there an easy way to do this?...surely if i assemble it all and rotate it in the fully advanced/retarded on both ex/in and there is not contact i have a fighting chance?...though if it is close but not touching that could end up being scary at high rpm?

I do believe that your feeling ur engine is running strangled by 6200 rpms and almost dead by 6500. i would assume that case since the stock S/C had an RPM limit which had the engine limited to 5800 redline and ths everything tuned to work with this range.

i cant recall how you are tuning the car, what u need to do is have the intake cam go to zero position at say above 4500 and set some 4 deg of retard in the exhaust cam for starters. then always recalibrate your AFR, then start working on ignition.

as for clearances, 4 degs of advance or retard should be with in the safe range, after all engines usually have that clearance since you can by mistake install the cam gear one tooth off (abt 12deg) and still get away with it.
-1995 Black W140 S500 (Lady)
-1992 Black W124 E300 (Dima) (Ex-Mosselman
Twin turbo Kit).
-1988 Black W124 300 E 4-Matic.(Nadeen)
-1983 Brown W126 500SEL.(Old Lady)(Sold)
-1981 Gold W123 280CE.(Dareen)(Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jayrasheed