View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM

AC Question. Still HOT in Houston. Need expert opinion!

w123 85 Cali,

I'd love to have some working AC. Here's the problems I'm having at the moment. I find these symptoms to be a little outside the norm.

Just after starting the engine, the line in front of the valve cover gets chilly, even starts sweating. The air out the vents in the cabin begins to drop... as low as 75 (hot hot day). I think it would go MUCH lower, but then the problems start. After a few minutes, everything begins to warm back up; air out the vents in the cabin climbs up to a balmy 85, and the line in front of the valve cover stops sweating and gets warm.

I've tested the pressure at this line at several intervals, and it always checks out and stays consistent.

My KLIMA (I think) is bad. Never turns the compressor off. What could be causing things to start out so nice then turn all wrong?

Checked the mono-valve. It WAS stuck, but I un-stuck it. Didn't fix the problem.

OVP relay fuse replacement is next on my list, followed by a new KLIMA. I don't think these fixes will assist in supplying cold(er) air though.

Thoughts? A little unusual, I think.

'85 Cali 300D --- 193500 miles --- (Second one) Sold Nov '10

'82 300TDT --- 236,xxx miles --- (My first one) Sold July '09