View Single Post
Old 06-09-2002, 12:57 AM
Service Advisor
oka few points to consider here.

1. The car was already R134A Converted when I bought it

2. In Feb/march it was low, and I evacuated and recharged it.

3. 3 months later, it is not blowing very cold.

4. only green oil I can think of is for the AC system. Never seen green oil anywhere else except the mineral oil a rolls uses for the braking system.

5. I looked up the instructions, and it is a whole ton of work to do. once the car is apart, its not too hard, but getting the whole damn car apart is the problem.

With all that in mind, ina couple of weeks, I'm going to evacuate it and recharge it again. IT should last for the summer. The evaporator must have been leaking before back in feb/march because the freon was low then, and my mech and I thought there might be a leak but we evacuated and refilled anyway, as it seemed like the most sensible thing to do.

So all I am going to do is recharge it, and go from there. I'll pay my mech to do it, I have no problems with it, but its one of those things he didn't seem to eager to have to do. He had just done two other W124's in the last two weeks, and I saw them apart, and they were literally apart.

I think there might be somethign I can use to try to seal it, but I'd rather not mess with any kinds of sealants, I don't want to screw up the whole system, or cause any other damage.

Other than the ac evaporator, the car is in perfect mechanical condition, in fact I'd say the condition mechanically is about 95% at least. the 5% being the AC evaporator.

Part cost is nothing, labor is where I'm going to get killed.

Who knows, maybe I can doit at my mechs shop with him, and save some on labor, I'm sure he'd let me.

In anycase, I'm not too worried about it. If I had the time to DIY it and not drive the car for a few weeks while doing it, I'd be all for it, but I really don't feel like taking apart the whole dash and all, though it would be fun to poke around in there.

'92 300CE - Sold
2004 C240 - C7 Wheels
2015 ML350 - P1, Pano, Ash poplar wood, Sport Dinamica interior, Running Boards Keyless go.