View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
It should plug right in. What other troubleshooting have you done so far? Have you tackled the KLIMA?
No, I haven't. I can't even physically locate the KLIMA at the moment. I haven't really had time to troubleshoot it, and what time I have spent on it has been in trying to further my guesses about whether I'm looking at head gasket or head problems. (Still waiting on an oil report.)

I've just checked every fuse I can find to prove that they're good, and I've put gauges to it and verified that my freon levels are adequate to be cooling at least somewhat.

The trouble I've got is that the compressor works but doesn't seem to stay engaged; it just randomly (no button pushing from me) clutches out and never comes back the rest of the day. Engine restarts don't help, pushing every button on the box doesn't help... it just dies. So I figure it's got to be electrical somewhere. Figured the computer was as good a place to start as any, since it is already showing signs of not working right. Specifically -- it works fine all summer, but any time the ambient temperature is below 40F or so and I start the car, it takes 20 minutes before the system responds to me at all. It doesn't matter which button I push; if it's cold outside (when I desperately need heat on the glass to make it safe to drive) it simply doesn't do anything. And when it does engage on those days, it does so with a HUGE flurry of relays clicking in and out rapidly, the blower motor starting, stopping, starting, stopping, starting, etc... and just generally a whole demonstration of electrical foolishness. And then when it does finally settle down frequently it's stuck in "heat" mode for 15 minutes until I either pass out from the temperature or it finally realizes i asked it to cool down half an hour ago.

So all this suggests that my button box needs replacing even if I still have other problems. If the compressor cut-out doesn't stop doing that when I put the new computer in, I'll keep troubleshooting.

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL