View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 AM

That was kind of fun, and dirty! Took off that manifold tonight, and there is probably a good eighth to quarter inch of black soot coating everything on the inside. I would estimate that a couple of the ports were 30% blocked. The front one was particularly bad.

Observations/Questions:
-If you do this, make sure to count 14 bolts on the manifold. I took 13 off and didn't see the one that is recesssed in a quite different location. Tugged on the manifold pretty good before I realized one more bolt needed to come off. Also, be careful on removing these torx head bolts. I was very careful to use the right size and apply good downward force while turning. Stripping one would be very bad! I used a 1/2" socket with a sturdy handle to get enough torque to turn these bolts as they were tight.

-Every single one of the CCV connectors that plug into the manifold broke off. They are as hard as a rock. Fishing the peices out of the manifold was a tedious task (see pic).

-The flaps do have electric switches which check to make sure they open all the way (see pic). I guess the '96 model doesn't have these.

-The A valve under the manifold is larger and was in good condition, other than being dirty. I think the B valve under the crossover was my culprit. Using my hand vac tool, it takes quite a bit of vacuum to get it to actuate, and sometimes it just will not open enough to trip that switch. Once I get her cleaned up, I hope this little flap will open with ease and eliminate that P1475 code.

-Can I use my intake gasket again? Looks OK if I clean it up. Or is it just smart to replace it. Anyone know cost?

-How do you replace those return hoses? Do you just pull them off? The way they go down into those wells, I just want to make sure I know what I am doing before I start tugging on them.

-I am concerned about an effective way to clean the intake part of the head. The passages go very deep down to the intake valves, I assume that I will not be able to do a very thorough cleaning on those. I also think some chunks of this sooty material have fallen down into these passages as I pulled the manifold off. I may just try to vacuum out any chunks I see.

I'll keep you posted as I move forward!!!
Attached Thumbnails
97 E300D Crossover/Manifold/Flaps-hpim1893.jpg   97 E300D Crossover/Manifold/Flaps-hpim1895.jpg   97 E300D Crossover/Manifold/Flaps-hpim1897.jpg   97 E300D Crossover/Manifold/Flaps-hpim1899.jpg  

Last edited by treiberg; 08-22-2009 at 11:06 AM.