View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
You talkin’ to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiesel300TD View Post
You're not going to be able to see too much with it off. You'll be able to see the first two rods and a couple of the mains caps for the crank shaft, and the oil pump. I'd just look around as much as possible to see if there is any irregular wear marks, or shavings in your pan. Look at the screen on the end of the oil pickup to make sure it's clear.
This is my first oil change on this one since I brought it home, so I actually stuck magnet in the oil as I drained it out - thankfully nothing was clinging to it once drained. The pan shows no shavings either, so that is a little comforting. The screen looks clear as well.

One thing I did notice is that the "feet" of the pump (most downward projections) were touching the bottom of the pan (you could see the marks on the interior of the pan). I don't think this caused a problem, but I was wondering if that was normal. It looks to me like the pan has been banged up enough that the bottom is a little concave. I think I am just going to buy a new pan anyway, this one has a weld spot on it - so apparently someone hit something at somtime.

Thanks.

"Back off, man. I’m a scientist” ~ Peter Venkman