View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM

You need to work from under the car. I would disconnect the shift rods from the shifter arms. I have worked on three of these and in all cases the shifter foundation bushings for the rod that chooses which shift arm is going to move where really bad or in one case gone! The foundation is removed for rebuild from the top. Remove the shift knob and boot and in most cases you can remove the 4 mounting bolts and remove straight up. You also need to be sure that the shift rod bushings are good at both ends. Then install an alignment/adjustment bolt (generic bolt) in the shifter foundation that aligns all the shift arms together. Each arm has a hole in it and the foundation has a tang with a hole in it on either side of the group of shift arms. Once the arms are locked in the lined up position adjust the lenght of the shift rods so that they slip back onto the shift arm pins. Once rebushed as required and aligned you're good to go! The shift rod bushings are available at most Mercedes parts suppliers but the shifter foundation parts I have only found at the dealer, but at least all the wear parts are available. I use the parts diagrams in the MB EPC as a referance for assembly. Unbelieveabley my R107 4 speed and my W114 diesel and my W123 Diesel share the same shifter. Jay