View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Weit aus dem nirgends

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
overfueling of a stock IP will cause heat mainly because the additional fuel means longer duration of injection. End of injection is getting late, causing black smoke and heat besides some extra power, plus the plunger speed is beyond its max. (cam profile/plunger travel). That means the additional fuel is injected late and slow. All that leads to more heat compared to the power gain.
With correctly calculated elements end of injection is just before/at the max, speed of the plunger. More fuel is injected within a shorter time and can burn better due to better atomisation and more "distance" to TDC (more time).
Now given the same amount of air with Deni's stock engine he can burn a little more fuel with larger elements due to the above said.

Tom
Having been inside these M-pumps, I'm having a hard time imagining how one adjusts the elements (plungers and barrels) themselves. Rather, it seems that issues with duration and lift are dealt with by regrinding the pump camshaft profiles. Myna told me that they can't install 7mm elements in a 603.97 pump because the cam profile wasn't a good fit. Which leads me to believe that there's still room for improvement in these pumps if we carefully match the element size to a custom cam profile--this is clearly well outside of my skillset.