View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Diesel freak!

Suspension springs interchangeability - IMPORTANT INFO ADDED LATELY

Hello folks!! I've been out of the forum for a while...

Luckily, I'm having some free time now, so I can catch up on the forum!

Anyway, I've been wondering about suspension springs interchangeability. Since some of the forum members couldn't get in the Vogtland group buy due to several reasons, I'm starting this thread to gather all of our knwoledge to figure out if there are some Mercedes springs that are similar to the W123 springs. If we find out the model series, then we can look for updgraded springs upon each ones needs. We might even be able to figure out which factory springs from other models might work, so the members with a low budget like me can look for them at the Pick N' Pull...

In my particular case, I would like to adjust the ride heigth of my car to get about 1 to 1.5 deg negative camber in the rear and some forward rake (correct me if I spelled something wrong) by lowering the front a bit. Also stiffer springs would be a plus to match the C-class rims and tires I'll be installing soon.

Now, back to business, according to the service manual, there were several spring sets for the W123 depending on the application. I compared some early W126 and W123 springs, and there was no visible difference in their dimensions, except some length differences not greater than 5 mm. I'm pretty sure they have different rates but I don't have a way of testing them.

Also, even though the W123 and W126 springs have the red and blue marks, according to the service manual most springs had both markings on the same part number... I really don't know a way of finding out the part number of each spring AFAIK...

Any thoughts?? What about other class springs?

If late W126 springs fit in the W123, that would make things a lot easier, since you can get H&R springs for the late W126...
1982 W123 300D NA Euro, 300K Miles, 4-speed manual, 3.46 rear diff, early W126 front brakes, Penta rims with 205/60R15 FH900's, custom fitted (by me) audio system, more to come into the money pit... Soon to be installed: Bilstein HD, R107 front discs and 4-piston calipers, HD Suspension springs, wagon front swaybar.

Last edited by juanesoto; 08-19-2009 at 01:00 AM.