View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 AM

DIESEL SWAP WIRING/VACUUM QUESTIONS- FORUM NEWBIE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3215663

NEW TO THE FORUM!!!

I have done a engine swap, and now I have a '78 300SD engine vs a gas one.
I have done all the rewiring of the car.

questions:
1- how is the diesel "pumped"? (electrical like the gas pump? or mechanically?) (I was told there is a pump on the rear of the car for diesels...is it inside the tank? or resides in engine compartment?

2- I see on the "control box" that there is one connector that powers up the 5 glow plugs, coolant sensor and temp (from the back of my head thinking) ---
the other connector pin seems to only need the #6 red thick cable to constant power, the thin red one to switched power, ground? is this correct?
my car does not have on the gauge panel temp light, etc... I used the blue/white wire for the glow plug warning light (installed remote location)---seems to work fine

3- Since my car was not diesel, I don't have a diesel shut down button/switch....any parts/advice....hard to find a shut-off button..or not looking in right places. (was also told i should change out the ignition switch housing for a diesel engine one.)---any tips/advice and how the vacuum is routed?

4- Will I need the Speed Control Sensor? I mean, is it necessary to have the car running properly or is it just so I can check the rpm on the car? apparently it senses TDC & rpm...just clarification.

thanks!!!

I was told you guys are the diesel experts.