View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Well, here's the "a few days later" update. We got it inspected (even though the tires are marginal, they knew we just needed it road-testable. Yay NC) and now have insurance and a license plate (a legal one) for it. So we're road-worthy any time we decide to chance it. I've pressure washed and degreased the first few inches of oil and fuel off the engine, and it's starting to look pretty good.

That clutch bearing is noisy but doesn't sound like it's reached emergency status yet. I'm going to fix it sometime, but I've got other priorities. It runs nicely, starts nicely, and runs much cooler than my SDL does. Its standard operating temperature seems to be a few needle widths below 80 degrees. Suits me fine. The air conditioning doesn't work, but that's not even in the picture right now. Neither does the cruise; same story. I'll get there eventually.

On my "priority repair" list is the fact that the speedometer/odometer is completely nonfunctional. I'm hoping it's just a broken cable and not something worse (like the possibility that this is a replacement speedometer that can't be hooked up to the transmission or something). I also need to buy at least one, if not a set of, wheels/rims as soon as possible. I've just bought a set of hubcaps from a forum member, but one wheel (in addition to being a mis-match) is bent at the back edge like somebody flew off a curb or something. I want that replaced before I put new tires on it (Which it needs) and I want new tires on it before I get it aligned (which it may not need; it doesn't feel off, but I'd feel better having it done just for peace of mind and tire wear life.)

The brake wear indicator has started to come on when I press the brakes and goes off when I let go. I'm assuming this means the brakes are just becoming marginal enough to trip the sensor, but not "worn out" enough to turn it on constantly yet. So that'll have to be dealt with before I take it to school, whenever that is.

And, sometime or another, I want to investigate the shift linkages and bushings and whatnot. The shifter goes firmly from gear to gear, BUT there's a lot of play in it after you get in a gear. That may just be a characteristic of this shifter but I could also believe there's some wear in those components. It doesn't seem dangerous yet, just a little annoying. The sensation that things are worn out even if they aren't serious things.

But, all in all, it's a fun little car and it seems to generally be all there. It rides smoothly, feels very tight to the road (hugs the road just as tight as my SDL and has less diving corners and cushy suspension) and runs as well as I could ask it to. There's lots of little stuff I haven't enumerated here, but my report after the first couple of days is that the items I've mentioned in this post are the first ones and the most serious ones that I feel need addressing.

I've changed the oil and filter (it took exactly 6 quarts of rotella, after a minor accident with forgetting to tighten the filter canister nuts more than finger tight) and both fuel filters. Lots more fluids and filters to drain and change and investigate and whatnot, but I feel better having done at least those basics for our test driving. I've put a full tank of fuel in it since I can't keep track of miles driven at the moment. The reserve light is on constantly but the needle seems semi-accurate.

I'm happy. I've driven it all over creation this morning just seeing how it feels and trying to detect rattles.

~Michael S.~
Past cars:

1986 300SDL
1987 300SDL
1982 240D
1982 300SD

Current:

1987 300SDL