View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Infractions: 99/99 (999)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanesoto View Post
Thanks for your reply Sev. To be honest with you, I'm not planning to lower the car that much, 1 inch max. I really like the ground clearance the car has. I just want to give it a more "sport" touring look to match the rims I got (see pics) from a C230. They are 7J15 ET 37. I'm putting some Bridgestone Potenzas G3 in 205/60R15 on them. I'll post some pics after the paint job is done. I'm painting them Graphite Gray with 3 fine pearl additives in Jade Green, Terracota Red and White Mica. The samples turned out very nice.

Back to the springs, your hypothesis sounds right... Do you know if the 506SEL springs have the same overall diamenter of the W123 springs? The difficult part wil be getting those particular springs...

About the rear springs, I've seen some W126 HD springs available in peachparts. My guess would be that those might work pretty good in the W123. One might have to cut a coil or maybe two, to get the right height, but I'm pretty sure the ride will be stiffer. I know there has been a broad discussion about cutting springs and how they will be overloaded due to the increased load per coil, but consider this: you will be cutting a HD spring designed for a much heavier car with a higher load rating, so there's quite big "security" factor left even after properly cutting 1 or 2 coils... Just my 2 cents idea...

As I said before, my goal with this thread is building a knowledge base to improve the handling of the W123 without breaking the bank and with more options to select from regarding handling and ride quality. Hopefully some spring expert might chime in...
the offset on that wheel is too high. you'd best stick with the CLK wheels off a CLK320, for example. these are the light, polished wheels with the correct offset for a w123, and weigh only 13-14lbs each. it's lighter than the original bundt wheels that are either 14x6 or 14x6.5, and they measure 16x7 with a low offset. they have been proven to fit a w123, and will increase your performance a bit, and are a bit larger diameter than the ones you're looking to put, but look SUPER nice on a w123 if you ask me. i'd go with those.

with only a 1" drop, guess you'd have no problems sticking to the stock shocks or bille hd's