View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM

My understanding is yes a basically new unused area where the balls load against the cage other than when backing up is put into use. Thats with an axel rotation from side to side, This has to be done before much if any real damage has occured. Permanent damage is indicated by constant thumping.

If you take an older cv joint apart you might actually by examination see the basically totally unworn areas. As for symetry any axel can go on either side. There are no left and right axels for these cars and many others. Those joints are omini directional.

I do not have a background of cases where this has been commonly done. At the same time I canot take any credit as I am aware it has been done by many people over the years.

The problem is the chinese axels that are cheap enough are questionable. The so called rebuilts also make me wonder if rebuilt with oversize balls and the pockets or grooves machined to match. How is the factory hardness restored to the ground areas if penatrated during the grinding process? Then there are the brand new axels from a dealer. With taxes possibly 500.00 apiece. These are of course the best alternative in my mind yet very pricey.