View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
But would it be an option or will we be pressganged into it? Much like you "volunteer" when you are in the military. Like I said before, if they can keep it optional and if they can do it from their own pot of money which is insulated from the legislators, it might be worth looking into.

Which is easier to change and take to court? Private health insurance or your govt?
I wouldn't mind if it was truly optional, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. What govt expenditure has ever been optional? Was there a way for me to opt out of paying for the Iraq war? I don't think there was.

You can take anyone to court, including the govt. It's debatable what's easier to change. Certainly private insurance is not easy to change, unless you're willing to spend tons of money. With govt insurance, if enough people are dissatisfied with it and voice their complaints, the govt will most likely make improvements. After all, politicians want to be re-elected. But private insurance has little incentive to improve. There's just very little competition and they couldn't care less if you complain if there's little competition. After all, you can't vote out the people who run private insurance.

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL