View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwrock View Post
So, your planning on tethering the T-Mo phone for internet? Or are they running a dedicated line out to your home?

The T-Mo 3G is pretty good. I played on a friends G1, and the internet seemed just as fast as the 3G on my ATT Blackberry Bold.

I would ask the T-Mo rep to demo the tethering, so that you can get a feel for the internet speed. I have an ATT 3G card, and with 4 bars of service, it still feels slower than my comcast connection.

We have 3G in Sacramento too. I should see my friend later today, and I will ask him to run a speed test to see how fast it is.
That's good news - for the price they're offering, I'm not going to expect the fastest of the fast, I just don't want dinosaur speeds - my nephew in IT tells me that EDGE speeds are about 3 to 5 times faster than dial up but I gather, as Med Mech points out, that's not operational. I went into Radio Shack today and they say it is indeed a 3G network but that they don't when and if there will be another demo, as the one they had was from a T-mobile rep. I'm going to call other Radio Shacks and T-mobile to see if any others are happening.

They claim the offer is Radio Shack only, which might be true, and that it might only be good through tomorrow. I know, could be BS arm twisting, OTOH, if this is as fast as the AT&T and Verizon 3G, the price is good.

And tethering is the concept they spoke of - the dedicated line deal was with AT&T for an extra $30 over the cell contract, but I'd be looking at $100 a month with an iPhone, at least $70 - to $75 with a 450 minute contract on a simpler phone. I'm reading that T-mobile has good customer service ratings. I might do this with a bit more research.