View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM

My thoughts, and I've never heard it proposed anywhere exactly, is simply un-incorporate, all government park and recreation area. That way, nobody has claim to it, everyone can use it, and any secret installations now become transparency of government. Then these private co-ops, or whomever, can come in and with local ballot measures approve any public use establishment, such as raceway or dirt track, campground commons building, ski resorts, even a community garden, and then much of that can be farmed out to local, again ballot approved, sponsors for restaurants or special events so that no new tax needs to be levied. Put a time limit to be renewed on all projects or limitations of use of 2 years and the measure is still desired, it continues to be funded.

It also creates a useful measure for community service deployment, instead of pointless grandstanding by politicians claiming to affect change by using babysitting or cleaning litter boxes at the SPCA to mask doing anything that actually matters. Included in the service program are any teenagers or vagrants wishing to cause damage or take up residence. Enforced by private security motivated by the fact that if enough complaints are filed, and sustained, they lose the contract. Bear with me, foreign concept this - accountability...

Voluntary involvement always trumps 'I've got a gun, a ticket book, and a brick room with a cast iron bar door, you even get a roommate named Jed who likes men when he's drunk, and that's why he's here'.

Ditto with roads. Remove the half of the price of a gallon of gas that is taxation, and people can set up a private contract with maintenance companies in localized districts. Everyone is encouraged to contribute to the funding or drive through craters, if they can make it at all, but best of all there's now accountability and if the road workers are hiring 10 people to stand around and hold a sign, they don't get paid. Believe it or not, there are people who don't "pay their fair share" now with threat of imprisonment and death even, and it's pretty childish to use that as an excuse to think that enough people won't contribute willingly.

Since this is a nation of sniveling children, they can even get little banana stickers, or gold stars for contribution amounts to put on their bumpers informing everyone driving behind them how wonderful they are, inclue a property tax reductions until those are abolished.

It's actually very simple and in fact, a "regressive" system. Strangely, one that actually works. You know, because, it's the one everybody engages in every single day in almost everything they do. It also prevents monopolies by relieving the government any power over business.