View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 08:29 PM

hey yoshi,

first of all i originally was going to buy a bmw 735il, 540i, or a 5 spd 96 bmw 325i....but after sitting and feeling the benz's drive and overall feeling..i opted for my 92 300CE which has the m104 engine...i am pending a gasket change too but when i do that i'm doing valves etc...but i don't have to worry about that for at least a year or two...
one thing i hated in all of the bmw's was how hollow, twangy and whiney their engines sounded...not the case with my benz...
also bmw's are high on the theft list...way way higher than mercedes is...

another point...why i bought my benz over the bmw...well...it's a benz...
the idea that a friend of mine got a 328i for graduation from high school kinda jilted me...to me 3 series are too small too...if you want to compare a m104 benz, do it with a 5 series....
also another point...
i heard that bmw diagnostic machines are so expensive (to keep non-dealer mechanics at a handicap) that only bmw dealerships have the proper equip to fix...and dealer rates for repairs? to give you an idea...i was quoted 425.00 to replace a tensioner and belt....at mbz of beverly hills....a non-dealer quoted me 380.00

my friend was charged 300.00 to replace 4 brake pads on his 525i....(non-dealer mechanic)....he was quoted 500.00 at the dealer....
hope this helps...
p.s.
the suspension thing is a joke on bmw's...talk about overly overly expensive....3000.00 just to overhaul the rear suspension...no way jose...especially living in a town where potholes are the norm....
p.s.s.
why do we love driving mercedes benz's? (answer on the license plate below)......
Attached Thumbnails
M104 problems vs BMW problems-richridesmokerear.jpg  

1984 300CD Turbo Diesel (soon to be "powered by VEGGIE") - dolphin silver

1999 e430 Sport blk/blk, my sexy ***** ;-)

(my other girls)
1992 300CE 24V 3.0L (w124) (R.I.P. "she was killed 7/12/03 by some ricer kids speeding in a honda accord")
1990 Acura Integra RS (w/94' engine)
1966 Cadillac Sedan de Ville (Hardtop)