View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzTD View Post
but if the doctors quit, does it matter. there is no perfect system, but at least the system we have rewards doctors for hard work and doesnt marginalize their efforts by mandating a pay ceiling far below what should be commanded by their education.

what I truly would like to see is a simplification of the current system's paperwork. I saw a report where a doctor had 100 patients and had to have a staff of 8 to maintain the insurance paperwork. thats just rediculous. her take home was on the order of 70-80K by the time she paid staff, and then insurance for malpractice takes a big chunk of that. to be honest I think the US is driving our best and brightest into the practice of law rather than medicine
You're right that no system is perfect. But do we really need a system to be perfect before we consider using it or even just the better parts of it? You seem to defeat your own argument that in our system doctors are rewarded for hard work as you mention the high insurance paperwork & liability costs. Don't forget also the extremely high cost of medical school in the US. Doctors in other countries don't need to get paid as much as they don't face these other costs to the same extent. Perhaps the biggest difference is that in the US most doctors are compensated based on the number of services performed, not on the quality of health care administered. In contrast in Britain for example doctors are on a salary and receive a bonus if their patients do exceptionally well. This provides the right incentives and helps reduce the number of useless but profitable procedures and pills prescribed.

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL

Last edited by DieselAddict; 08-26-2009 at 02:51 AM.