View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddict View Post
You're right that no system is perfect. But do we really need a system to be perfect before we consider using it or even just the better parts of it? You seem to defeat your own argument that in our system doctors are rewarded for hard work as you mention the high insurance paperwork & liability costs. Don't forget also the extremely high cost of medical school in the US. Doctors in other countries don't need to get paid as much as they don't face these other costs to the same extent. Perhaps the biggest difference is that in the US most doctors are compensated based on the number of services performed, not on the quality of health care administered. In contrast in Britain for example doctors are on a salary and receive a bonus if their patients do exceptionally well. This provides the right incentives and helps reduce the number of useless but profitable procedures and pills prescribed.

it is an arguement against my point of compensation, but it is only for general practitioners. Hospitals and collectives share the resources so if they partner up they can still make very good money here, and they are not capped.. My point was that all of them have this huge overhead cost in terms of insurance paperwork. if they could simplify that it would help bring down the average costs of care. when my wife came from Mexico she had no insurance here every doctor we visited cut the price 30% for a cash deal. this says to me the true costs of dealing with insurance, Im guessing 30% just scratches the surface.

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)