View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Moderating, Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzTD View Post
ask the doctors in those countries how they feel about it, and the future of those doctors. the report I saw was that in Germany for instance, the doctors make little more than an engineer, yet have 2X the education. they have gone on strike many. many times for higher wages and many are moving out of Germany. Frances healthcare system is only a few years away from total financial collapse. It would be nice if someone would do a non partisan appraisal rather than one that supports their agenda
I'll thrown in my $0.02...

Wife is a physician, now practicing in Ontario. The waiting time aspect of Canadian healthcare has been exaggerrated by the media. You'd think people were lying on the street, gasping for breath as they await a vital organ transplant. There are waits for non-essential services, but the issue is already being addressed, and with costs of medical equipment, technicians, operating costs, etc. increasing, there will be waits for non-essential services. A small price to pay for getting top-tier care when you need it most.

Another aspect that has not been mentioned AFAIK is that being a doctor in Canada is one of, if not the, most secure high-paid job you can have.

This is a significant factor that is often underlooked, IMO.

You will be essentially guaranteed a life-long job, with a secure salary. This greatly facilitates long term estate planning and retirement. It also means that towards the latter half of a physician's career the money starts to add up fast. At the start there are mortgages, cars and medical school bills, yes, and you hear all about that in the media. Reality is that they get paid off relatively quickly with some diligence.

We recently met with our financial advisor (offered 'free' of charge through the CMA, of which doctors are members and pay dues) and she was telling us how many doctors, as early as their mid/late 40s, are socking away $10,000+ a month. They've paid off their main debts at that point and they put the money into their corporation (many doctors are incorporated). So with some wise money management, many doctors will retire as multi-millionaires. Is there really much to complain about? Not IMHO.
1998 E430 - sold
1989 300E - 333,000 Km - sold
1977 280E - sold
1971 250 - retired

"And a frign hat. They gave me a hat at the annual benefits meeting. I said. how does this benefit me. I dont have anything from the company.. So they gave me a hat." - TheDon