View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 04:00 AM

Jim:

I agree, that many manuals have their short-comings including the Haynes. But, I used some of the first Japanese manuals translated to English - talk about hard to use and understand. Wait till you get the M-B manuals - very cryptic, assume the reader has a good foundation as a tech, and the CD's pictures are bad. Compared to the M-B repair CD's, the Haynes manual is a model of clarity and great pics. But, the Haynes manual certainly does not have all the info the M-B manuals do, but what the Haynes has is a lot easier to find and understand. The M-B print manuals are OOP which is too bad since the pics are much better and I like being able to flip the pages to find stuff and go back and forth between different but related service/repair operations. You can find the M-B print manuals on eBay along with the CD's (and a lot of CD-R's). There are 5 print manuals for the W123 turbo: 1 engine, 2 chassis (has the power steering info among some other stuff connected to the engine in some way), 1 AC manual, and 1 electrical manual (mostly wiring schematics with some pics and a layout showing where things are located - but not a good manual for most DIY folks). The CD repair info comes on 2 discs with every W123 model 1977-1985, whereas the engine print manual has two versions - one for the turbo engine and one for the non-turbo. As far as I know the other print manuals are the same for the turbo and non-turbo W123's. The print manuals can cost more than the CD's, but if you look the print manuals can be found reasonably. Do a search here for some info by members about the manuals and where to find them.

Good Luck!
Tom

1977 300D: 300,000+ miles

American Honda: Factory Trained Technician & Honor Grad.
Formerly:
Shop Foreman;
Technical Advisor to Am. Honda;
Supervisor of Maintenance largest tree care co. in US for offices in Tex.