View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM

WHoa...good prices there

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_benz View Post
I'm doing door seals right now. I'm going to pay someone to do the rear window seal because of what is involved. I don't want my original rear windshield broken. I was told the labor for this should be around $100.

I think it's the new glass that you want that is driving up the price. I way overpaid for my seals (4 door and 1 rear window seal for $400 even). At the time I could not find anywhere to buy them. Now lots of places have them and for those 5 seals, I could get them today for ~$275. For door seals there are replacement clips that are needed and adhesive for the sections that are in the door jam. The clip sets are different between the front doors and the back doors. I had to call Mercedes Benz to get the right clips for the rear doors because I could not find them anywhere.

When I put the first seal in I had directions but not an understanding of how they went in regardless and I was struggling. Luckily I left one door seal on and I could look at it and then I understood how the thing goes on. Trim tools are a must for this job.

I had rust in parts of the lower seal track as some people suggested. I grinded it off and then coated it with miracle paint, primer and touch-up paint. I do have one rear door that has no track left and a big hole where I would have maybe been able to glue a seal on without the track. However, I'm stuck on that door because I cannot figure out how to get the seal to stay and I cannot afford body work to fix the door. (I don't actually know how the much the body work would cost, I'm making an assumption that it would be a lot).

I just did the math and came up with ~$430 for all seals, clips and tools. Everything but adhesive.
Trim tools $15
Rear door clips 12 x2
Front door clips 10 x 2
Rear window seal 57.95
Front window seal 57.95
Trunk seal 42.50
2 rear doors $57 x 2
2 front doors $49 x 2

I would pay someone for the window work and save money on the door and trunk seals.

When you say front and rear window seals are you talking about the windshield or the front driver and passenger windows? If you are talking about the windshield we might need to talk. I have found them to be around $150...nearly 3x what you paid!

1984 BMW 633 CSi
Bronzit Beige Metalic
Perlbeige Leather