View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 PM
luddite by choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by strelnik View Post
I have a chance to buy a motorcycle and sidecar that are a Russian-made replica of the BMW moto and sidecar used by the Wehrmacht in WW2.

The vehicle belonged to a guy who died after getting it a year ago. He died in a contruction accident in the Middle East, and his family wants to liquidate the stuff that they feel has no sentimental value.

The bike has 452 miles on it. No pics.

Anyone ever seen these?

They want 1000 cash soon, and I'll know I hope within a week. Gotta go to Central Michigan to pick it up from their hunting cottage where his uncle lives.

I just don't want to get stuck with a lemon.
Well, for the money, it's a great deal. But, thers is always, a but....

I had a 2000 Ural Patrol with sidecar a few years ago, it was the Russian made copy of the BMW. The Dnepr is a Chinese copy of the Ural.

Build quality and matrials were what you would expect from Russia, it wasn't a lemon but it resembled a BMW only in looks and engine sound.

Parts are/were hard to find, most dealers sell these as a sideline and are NOT interested in helping you source parts. I had to call five dealers in order to find one that was willing to ship me an alternator.

One plus is that it is very easy to work on, and you only need a bare minumum of tools. The downside is that because it is so primitive, you will spend alot of time tinkering with the bike. For example, a brake cable(mechanical drum brakes) and clutch adjustment were part of almost every pre ride ritual. I didn't mind because it was easy to do. Some people want to ride, not tinker, that's why I mention it.

Lot's of the Dnepr bikes are inported from Asia(some are quite old) and given a quicky clean up buy the importer who buys them by the dozen or more. Check out Walneck's Cycle trader for some prices, I still think it's worth the 1k asking price. Though $500 would be more realistic, considering it could be a real nightmare due to unknown issues with the shaft drive and/or transmission.

Make doubly sure, you get a clear title for the bike