View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Fuel quality

first of all, the fuel quality here is defently not a problem ever.
The octane has always been keept above the limit of 95 so no problems there im sure.

But now the pistons are at the shop for a check up, and he dident realy had the time to check it through when I was there, but a quick look he said it looked like the rings where just worn out and then they brake into pieces when the tolerences is getting to big, because the rings can rock up and down every time the piston changed direction and this makes it brake into pieces.
But he said that he would take a closer look to morrow to find out more about it with his measurings tools.

He was absolutely sure that bad fuel or wrong low octane deffently not could have casued this, we are not in Rusia he said

I talked to another Mercedes mecanik that have been there since they intruduced the W123 and he had never ever come acrossed broken pistons rings but again he said this engine runs with BRABUS configuration so this is not a fuel isue or bad O2 sensor or to lean mixture isue.
It has only something to do with worn out rings and/or pistons.
BRABUS uses other pistons and those are not as good as the Mercedes Pistons even though they can handle more power they are not as strong as the original pistons that will last a lot longer.
So his statement was that its mainly because of wear nothing else.
But he would just by new pistons and then fit them and of you go he said.
And he has got a lot of these engine in his hands trough his time.

But as many opinions as possiable is better so please post some more idéas or comments of what I have been told by those people

Last edited by Brabus 3.6-24; 09-06-2009 at 03:39 PM.