View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Unregistered Abuser

When I work on cars from a particularly notorious shop whos managers REQUIRE the use of antiseize on all lutnuts, studs, and backsides of rims, I cannot get an accurate torque.

I can torque stick it down to around the torque spec, and then get almost two more turns out of a lutnut before a good calibrated torque wrench "clicks off" (usually stretching the stud in the process)
I broke one stud before. I replaced it out of my own pocket to avoid issues with the owner (known nit-picker)

If it has antiseize on it, I dont touch it until I inform the owner about whats going on (and going to happen unless I clean it all off, and make them wait another half hour)

I wish people would just realize that torque specs are for CLEAN DRY BOLTS IN GOOD CONDITION(unless otherwise noted)

Torque sticks shoud be hanging around wherever the impact guns are. A red one is a 17mm 60ft lb one if I'm not mistaken, then it's torqued to whatever the book calls for (Ours are hanging on the lifts)
~Nate