View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt20 View Post
So why is it, that whenever I work with an elder, despite whatever talents I may or may not have, he/ she absolutely insists on lecturing me like a dribbling toddler with regards to the most simplest and insignificant tasks?
There are two possibilities........the former is more prevalent.

1) The individual is insecure in his own knowledge and the act displaying what he has............for the world to hear..........reinforces his own confidence and beliefs. It has nothing to do with you. In this trade, many of the individuals have picked up their habits over many years and few of those habits are related to the the "correct" way to do the job. The word "correct" is in quotes because four of them will give you four different methods for completing the task. All of them cannot be correct. Many times none are completely correct.

It's an interesting business whereby some really poor workmanship can be generally hidden and only a very knowledgeable homeowner will notice it.

2) You are not as skilled as you believe and he sees that you need verbal instruction and continues to provide it on an ongoing basis.

One of the two is applicable............and I'd probably bet on #1.