View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Renaissances Dude

I'm liking my DeWalt 4 inch square, maybe 4.5 inch pretty well. I've worn out two Porter Cable quicksand models, which they don't make any more, and the hook and loop thing can be annoying. The Velcro gets tired eventually and replacing the platter is not cheap, IIRC.

**EDIT** It is 4.5 inch. They call it a quarter sheet sander - you cut up a 9 by 11 sheet of paper into fourths and the long dimension is for fitting under the clamps.

With the square dealy, it takes a bit longer to mount the paper, with the bracket things, but you get quick at it and the paper cost is much less. You can also get into corners with it, with the square shape.

It comes with a plastic thing that you pop over the platter to poke holes in the paper so it can do the dust suck up thingy through the holes in the platter. Seems to work pretty well.

I had a guy working for me the other day so I bought the new Porter Cable circular orbital sander as I had a huge box of the hook and loop sandpaper discs still left. They use the 8 hole now, everyone else does, my box was the old 5 hole but I switched the platten from one of my dead ones to the new one. The 8 hole switch makes sense as it's a lot easier to find discs with 8 holes. Seems to be a decent tool.

Last edited by cmac2012; 09-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.