View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Will this work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb123mercedes View Post
Hi all.

Anyone know if it will fit a W123 diesel?

Louis.
I think I've found a 123 drop in upgrade.
Here's the background. Somehow, the bottom mounting bolt in my 83 300D-T broke but did not fall out. In changing belts, I found the problem but it had grown into a bigger issue. The broken bolt had vibrated around enough to make the alternator and the engine mounted bracket out of round and therefore hard to hold in alignment. It's still holding but I went to PNP for the 1/2 Labor Day sale.

I found an 84 300D-T with a good bracket and an alternator that didn't turn as freely as I thought it should (but I could use the parts to fix mine). I kept searching and found a recently rebuilt Bosch alternator in a 1984 500SEL. 137 amp with the same dual V belt pulley as mine and the donor 84. I bought it all (bracket and two alternators for $42.49 (including all fees and taxes). I've not installed it but I did do a test fit into the mounting bracket I pulled - exact fit. It measures 3/8" deeper so I may have to rotate the back to make it clear the AC hose, etc. Looks like the same pully but I'll take some better measurements before installation. Got to wait on some more free time to do the work. I did find that Eagle offers rebuilt alternators up to 150 amp for the 123's.

Any reasons not to proceed as long as I increase the wire sizes?
Any other recommendations?
1983 300D, bought new, 215k+ miles, donated to Purple Hearts veterans charity but I have parts for sale: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-cars-sale/296386-fs-1-owner-83-mb-300d-turbo-rebuild-parts.html