View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Armchair Mechanic

Measurement Request - Two numbers

I have a request- Does anyone have a dismounted W126 rear subframe lying around? I was wondering if someone could please take a pair of measurements for me if they do.

I'm going to replace the rear subframe bushings and trailing arm bushings on my 1984 300SD, and I'm going to make 3 bushing tools to do so, imitating Mercedes special tools 126 589 00 33 00 and 126 589 01 33 00 for the rear subframe pusher/puller and 116 589 13 43 00 for the trailing arm bushings. I can design my trailing arm bushing tool with a trailing arm johnhef has sitting around, and I can make the subframe bushing pusher using numbers I get off the new bushings I have sitting next to me.

To make the puller, I need to know the diameter of the hole in the rear subframe that the large bolt goes through (with an estimate of the tolerance of your number if possible). I also need the approximate thickness of the rear subframe. I marked both of the dimensions I need in the attached picture.

Obviously I have this hole in my car, it's just that it's my only mode of transportation, and I'm trying to avoid having to drop the rear subframe just to make a measurement, then reattaching it only to need to drop it again to do the actual job.

Thanks in advance, if you guys get me numbers I'll post pictures of my designs and the finished pieces!
Attached Thumbnails
Rear sub frame Bushings W126 1985 300SD DIY-rear-subframe-bushing-tools.jpg   Rear sub frame Bushings W126 1985 300SD DIY-bushing-puller-marked.jpg  

1984 300SD, 375XXX miles, Light Ivory w/ Palomino TEX