View Single Post
Old 06-14-2002, 11:22 PM

Speaking generically:
1. There is always a chance of breaking old glass when taking out your Windshield.. be gentle.
2. Carefully cut what rubber you can away from the glass. Small sharp knives like Exacto or utility knives are great. Then take some fine piano or guitar string and put it through a small hole next to the glass and wrap the ends around two pieces of wood for handles to hold on to. Carefully pull it along the edge to cut the rubber close to the glass.
3. Most people say that if the windshield was not leaking around the rubber that it is best to leave the rubber which remains on the car when you cut with the wire and just glue the windshield to the rubber already there.
4. On cars where the windshilds were designed to be glued in it is very important to do it correctly because the windshield actually becomes part of the structural rigidity of the car, meaning that in the case of a roll over you really want the windshield glued in correctly.
5. Where glass is glued in it almost always involves the use of a Primer. This must be placed on really clean glass and not touched or contaminated in any way before the glue is applied .
6. I consider wind or backglass a three person job. I did it by myself on a glued in windshield on a small car but only because I did not have help available. I have two of those big suction cup holders. Worth their weight in gold. Of course I went asking questions of everyone I could and ran across the most helpful factory rep imaginable. He was the regional 3M tech advisor for auto paint shops.... how lucky was that ?
He sent me the 3M " Automotive Aftermarket 1998-1999 Products and Systems Catalog", Weatherly Index # 736, 3M Automotive Glass Products Catalog,and 3M automotive Aftermarket Division Auto Glass FAQ, and 3m Automotive Aftermarket Division Auto Glass Intructions for Use : Automotive Windshield Replacement Procedures.

That last one is incredibly specific including exact parts numbers of all the products needed to do it correctly. Remember , I am speaking generically and only about those systems designed to be glued in. However, sometimes original stuff is not available, or is so expensive that another way of doing the job is nice to have as an option. Good Luck,,, and take pics for the faq pages if anyone does it themselves.. or if the pro installers will allow pics to be taken... Greg