View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM

Exclamation Blower Electrical Woes - 91 300D W124

My blower fan has me stumped. I converted the o-rings, drier, and expansion valve for an r134a conversion, everything went fine, except the fan suddenly did not work after it was all said and done.

I did the required reading, figured it was a regulator problem and ordered a new one. This new one behaves exactly like the other one in that the fan doesn't work.

The fan has voltage all the way to it from the posts behind the brake booster. At those posts, one is ground (very solid and tested), one is +12v, and the other is yellow and switches with the desired fan speed at like 2.8v and 9v (and 0v). The blue wire coming out of the fan regulator (big heatsink lookin fella) has no obvious charge, nor does it change to complete a circuit around the blower fan.

The blower works benchtested. You hook it up to the battery and it goes. If you ground the blue-wire out, the fan goes.

I stopped by the local parts store and picked up a number of fuses to replace some of the badly corroded ones, and then a heavy duty 30amp fuse to replace the stripfuse, outside the fusebox.

These fuse changes affected nothing as far as the blower goes.

Any ideas? Is KLIMA+Kickdown involved with allowing the fan to run at all? I pulled this unit out to get to the OVP and replace a fuse. I've pulled it out and reseated it and it didn't change anything.

I've got a trip coming up on Thursday and would have been done already if this newest gremlin hadn't popped up. Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated! I've read through most everything relevant on the board so far and can't find anything definitive, other than the regulator. What're the chances that the one that I bought doesn't work for the same reason as my original?

-A humble newbie.