View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Dieselsüchtiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner Mality View Post
The vehicle is a 191,000 mile 1990 420SEL. About two weeks ago, I began experiencing a bad vibration at around 65MPH, and every time I braked regardless of my speed. I was needing tires, and I just laid the problem off to bad tires. I purchased 4 new tires on Monday, and the installer told me that the right front probably needed a bushinig on the lower control arm because the wheel was jerking back and forth as he tightened the lug bolts. I made an appointment with my regular alignment guy for this morning, and he pointed out to me where the slack is, but his parts supplier did not show such a piece in his catalog. He thinks MB calls this piece a trailing arm, and that there must be a bad bushing where it terminates at the subframe.

I told him not to sweat the parts; I'll get them from Phil, but it would be nice if I actually knew what part to order. The piece in question connects at the lower control arm, then proceeds at about a 45-degree angle to a cube-looking "box" where it mounts to the subframe. I'd send pics, but it has been pouring rain all day, and my garage is a white oak tree furnished by Ma Nature. Any help would be appreciated.
That is called a guide rod. You will likely need the bushing assembly....common wear part.

On fastlane this is the repair kit for it.

'09 Sprinter 3500 Winnebago View - 62k (OC - 67k)
'13 ML350 Bluetec - 95k - dad's (OC-98k)
'01 SL500 - 103k(km) - dad's (OC-110,000km)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 148k - Brothers (OC-155k)