View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Head bolt tools Torx T-55

Pulling the head on a 96 C-220 4-cyl. Have the proper size T-55 tool for the head bolts, (reading earlier posts about the cheap tools I got a good one at craftsman) but since this one is 1/2 inch drive-- large diameter like a socket- it will not fit down inside the head to reach the head bolt. But, the way it is constructed, I can take the "star bit" part out of the tool body by loosening a setscrew. This part fits perfectly in a 6-point 1/2" inch socket, and this combination WILL go into the head to reach the head bolt. After I pulled about 60 ft lbs of torque it felt like something was stripping so I immediately stopped. Question- do these head bolts typically release gently instead of snapping loose with a loud clink like an american car? These bolts are oiled and tightened to "stretch" instead of "torque" so they may have a different "feel" when breaking them loose. ?? Tools came out showing no signs of stripping but I haven't shined a light into the head bolt to inspect it yet. Hate to have to drill one of these out, they are cold hardened steel! Any recommendations for the perfect tool for this? Snap-On or Mac ? 3/8 or 1/2 drive? Thanks!