View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM

saying goodbye to the benz (sadly). Need 3 kid hauler

After roughly 60k miles nearly troublefree (240k-300k) Im going to be needing a larger vehicle as the 87 300D will be too small for a 3rd kid. This car has been great thru thick and thin and I will be really sad to see her go. I wish there was some way to finagle a 3rd car seat in the back but its just too small.

A brief history of time with this thing (for my own sentiments) :

Bought at 239k from second owner with all records and even the original sticker! This car has made me appreciate the engineering that went into the MB's from the 80's. At 250k I put on the Frybrid veg oil kit which has run flawlessly for the last 50k miles and probably has saved me $6k in fuel alone. Ive taken her on long car trips and used it as a daily with just about no problems. Ive used it as a power generator during the Atlanta tornado in March of 08, where it sat idling in the driveway for 12 hrs powering refrigerators and TV's (its got the 120 amp bosch in it), all the while getting pounded by 50 mph winds and hail, and running on wvo. I cant say enough about the design of this car, if I had the chance to build a new car, it would be based on this thing for sure.

So...whats a good SUV recommendation for a family w/3 kids? Been looking at the Exped, Sequoia, Pathfinder from 07 on. Man its going to suck paying for gas again but I guess its enivitable. Still thinking about the SDL but I dont know if even that is big (wide) enough. I will surely look into it!

Also wanted to say what a great forum this is. Ive learned just about everything from fellow members, having never owned a diesel before. You guys are great and Im sure I will be back at some point. I will keep the 300D until early next year but then it will sadly be departing my garage. I doubt anything even newer will be designed as well as this thing is.