View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyg3 View Post
I mean should you not even attempt to take the glow plugs out for fear of breaking them off and jsut remove all this way as a precaution? Or can this be down post break? I am imagining not as imagine the part that breaks is the very tip vs the part that is drilled an tapped to avoid having to twist the glowplug out vs pull straight as the DIY seems to accomplish. Very interesting and well thought out! Nice Job!
Broken Glow Plugs do not always happen. Sometimes they all come out with no problems. But, from what I have read that does not seem to be the rule. It seems most have trouble getting out a least 1 GP although they do not always break it.

My opinion of the dilemma that has no really good answer:
The Glow Plugs are getting trapped by Carbon at the tip or the are seized in the threaded area of the Glow Plugs or both simultaneously. Ounce in awhile due to poor seating Carbon has leaked past the Glow Plug seating area by the tip and filled the space between the Glow Plug and the Head with Carbon.

If you buy a used Car you have a choice of leaving the Glow Plugs alone and dealing with them when you have a Glow Plug failure.

Or you can prepare for the worst possible problem and be prepared for some down time while you work on the Car and pick a time and remove all of them good or bad so that you that when you install them you can Ream/Clean the Carbon out of the Glow Plug Holes and put some Never-Seez type compound on the Glow Plug threads. So, that when one fails later it will come out with little chance of causing a problem.

I favor the last solution of when you first buy the Car plan a time to try to pull the Glow Plugs and do so expecting the worst case.

My thought is that they longer they are in the Cylinder Head without being serviced the harder they might be to get out later.
Having a mechanic do the job:

If you hire someone to pull your Glow Plugs and one or more breaks I doubt if they will want to take a chance of ruining you Cylinder Head in an attempt to drill out the Glow Plugs. So, they will want to remove the Cylinder Head and send it to a Machine Shop.

The fact that they will make more money off of you by pulling the Cylinder Head off is going to factor in their thinking.

Win Win for the repair shop; be safe do not drill out Glow Plugs; make more money on the labor and parts removing you Cylinder Head and sending it to a Machine Shop; and, they are also going to charge you extra to send it to the Machine Shop.

I say try to do it yourself (your going to be more careful than the Mechanic). If some Glow Plugs Break off try to drill them out yourself.
If you cannot drill them out yourself. Pull the Head off yourself and take it to a Machine Shop.