View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 04:43 PM

with this design you press on the tubing welded to the bigger circular tubing that goes over the ball joint catching the rim (get as close to balljoint as your press will allow I put one inch square tubing over down shaft on press and ground bottom to fit the smaller tubing attached to tool)then put blocks of hardwood or steel at end of small tubing for support you can tilt the tool up a bit to help make joint go in straight. ,bottom of control arm must be elvated an eight of an inch or more as botton of joint protrudes that much. I tapped on the top of the big tubing as I applied pressure with press using a large hardened bolt and heavy hammer to keep balljoint going in straight.Be aware that there is always an element of danger when useing a lot of pressure. I used the same press to press the old joint out and when I had the full 12 tons of pressure on the part I had to rap it with hammer and bolt it came out like a rocket and could have hurt me ,but being a crazy old codger that has been doing such all my life I took it as normal.....if you have a lathe and welder would be easy to make a much better one I would make it as heavy duty as possible .......
William Rogers....
Attached Thumbnails
homemade lower ball joint tool-bg-drawing.jpg  

Last edited by william rogers; 06-18-2002 at 04:49 PM.