View Single Post
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROVERMAN View Post
Starting Monday, I'll be doing the headgasket on our 95 E320 wagon. Its got 115k on it, and this will be the second time. The first time was to stop lots of oil leaking everywhere. The second time, well, its leaking lots of oil again. Lots. Some time after the first gasket job, someone driving the car (not me) continued to drive the vehicle after the serpentine belt failed. Of course the car overheated, blew out all the coolant, and finally died when the battery ran out. We did drive the car a few thousand more miles after that incident, and it runs perfectly and doesn't overheat but now leaks lots of oil. The first time we had a Mercedes indie do the job, and it solved the problem. At this point, the car is old and has sat for a year. It will be a 3rd / fourth car, but I don't want it to just sit and rot...so I'm doing the job myself. I don't have the Mercedes CD, so please post the torque spec for the headbolts! Also, what is an alternative sealer for the timing cover gasket?

I got new headbolts despite Mercedes saying the originals can be re-used up to 8(!) times before they stretch. Harness is original, survived the first head gasket job, hoping it will survive this one. Being a wagon, it will also need new accumulators before we start driving it again.

Please post the head bolt torque specs, as well as an alternate sealer than the OEM stuff.

Thanks
I think this is what you're looking for (somebody correct me if I'm wrong - I just have the CDs ). The head bolts should stretch the first use, I believe that's how they're designed. You can measure them to make sure they're in spec, or just use new ones.

It should be 55Nm, then 90 degrees, then 90 degrees (in 3 stages).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01-4050.pdf (88.4 KB, 1247 views)
262,715 and counting