View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16 AM

Coil Spring Compressors

While crawling around underneath my car, I seem to notice that the subframe looks like it has been replaced. The lower control arm attachment point doesn't have the little "ears", but there seems to be a "C" shaped box around the point.

I suspect that I might have to do the subframe bushings myself, then. I've been looking around for the spring compressors, and there seems to be 3 basic types: the dual disc type and the dual "W hook" type are both single screw units that go through the middle of the spring. The double outside clamp seems to come in two types of clamp, one hook or two hooks at each end.

Since the prices for the dual disc type specified for Benz, BMW, etc... run around $200.00 and up, and the dual hook external clamp can be had for around $30.00, I wonder if the less expensive ones would be enough to hold the spring while I work on it.

I plan on installing the compressor with the weight on the front of the car, tightening it up, then raising the front end. I don't want to compress the spring with them much, but just let the clamp hold the already squeezed spring.

Does anyone see any potential problems with this? I am probably only going to have to do this job once, so I don't need the Professional Shop type tool. The expense for the "right" ones would not be worth it, to me.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions? All Ideas would be greatly appreciated, those with experience especially so.

Thanks, Scott