View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 AM
88Black560SL

After doing it once with the 2 W hook $30 thing and realizing I was near death at all times, I decided to make my own. I used two plates and a 3/4" ACME threaded rod. You can see by the pictures the upper large plate has a welded on smaller centering plate and then lath turned, that pilots into the top subframe spring perch. The lower plate is lathe turned to form a cup that pilots over the lower control arm rolled edge on the spring access hole. This level of detail is probably not required and I only did it because I could.

Essentially two 1/4" to 3/8" plates with a 7/8" hole and a 3/4" threaded rod 24" long and 2 nuts are all you need to do this job safely. About $20 worth of stuff from Sears Hardware or HD. ACME threaded rod and nut are a nice option and available from MSC.

With this setup you will have to remove the two Z bar links, compress the spring remove the two lower control arm bushing bolts. Then unwind the spring making sure the threaded rod does not unwind from the top nut on the threaded rod. I will probably purchase another ACME nut and weld it to the bottom of the threaded rod to make sure I have a wrench hold to keep it from turning.

Very cheap, very effective and very safe as long as you keep an eye that you are not backing the threaded rod out of the upper nut!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Coil Spring Compressors-dscf0071.jpg   Coil Spring Compressors-dscf0072.jpg   Coil Spring Compressors-dscf0073.jpg   Coil Spring Compressors-dscf0074.jpg