View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 AM

Okay, Got the gearbox out, changed the coupling and got it stuck back in. Had to unbolt the crosspipe, the manifold clamp, and remove one set of rubber donuts on the exhaust, but I got the mother back in.

When I got to the coupler, my extractor was broken off right flush with the socket of the bolt. I ended taking a hacksaw and cutting through the boss where the bolt was stuck. When I first tried to get on the head with vise-grips, I couldn't get it to move, but by cutting through the threaded area of the coupler, along the axis of the bolt, I was able to get it to pop loose and unscrew.

Then there was the adventure of putting it back in. That thing weighs about 25 to 30 pounds, and I'm flat on my back, trying to work it into position, with the exhaust pipe in the way. It's one of those situations that needs four arms to do.

The next step is to get the Cotter pins for the castle nuts, find the torque values for the new mounting bolts, and get everything back together, including the steering shaft.

The rubber bushings in the coupler were completely gone, just a few crumbs still sticking to the inside. The steering damper was also completely shot, so a new one is going in at reassembly. This thing will drive much different now.

Thanks for all the ideas, they were helpful.

Scott