View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
And I only had one lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass1221 View Post
There's no guessing here. The engine is scrap metal at this point. The cam probably weaken without cracking when it was running with no oil. It was probably under extreme heat. By the time you filled it, the damage was done. It just didn't snap yet. hence the reason you managed another 80 miles. (you mentioned that it ran but didn't sounds right. My guess is the cam was warped.) But with the cam beaking like that at what was probably highway speeds, valves are shot, block must be a disaster. Don't dump any money into trying to get this fixed. If you need piece of mind, find someone to pull the head and do a quick biopsy of the block. Then try and salvage whatever may be usable and sell the parts. The IP should get you a few bucks on ebay.
Or, you could just find someone who owns a Boroscope, and check the inside out without taking anything apart at all. Call around, some shops have them. I have one, recently purchased from the Snap-On truck. You are bound to find a shop with one in your area.