View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Another long trip report

I haven't posted here for a while, but as you know, I like to use my SL for long trips. I feel that's what it was intended for.

Last week I took it from my home in north Northumberland (Great Britain) to southern Spain and back.

I went by way of the Millau Viaduct (worth a big detour for sure) then along the Mediterranean coast to Valencia, inland to an 8th century castle in Alarcon and then south through the Sierra Nevada to the southern coast of Spain. While there I had a side trip to the most southerly point in Europe, Tarifa. From there Africa is within swimming distance and certainly within sight. I was tempted to hop on the car ferry to Tangiers and spin down to Marrakech but I had not insured the car for Africa and didn't have much time anyway. I settled for a bit of British soil at Gibralta, paying in pounds for my tax-free petrol while I was at it.

On the return leg I blasted north through Madrid to Burgos and then San Sebastian where I paused long enough only for a glass of Rioja and some meat. My overnight was the French resort town of Biarritz before heading north again to Normandy and finally home.

Some of the roads were amazing. The A75 from Clemont Ferrand to Beziers is an astounding feat of civil engineering. Not only does it feature the Millau Viaduct but also the descent (or ascent if you happen to be northbound) down the Gorges du Herault, the road going through about 750m height in 10km in a sinuous cliff-face course. This is a 3 lane motorway with an entirely necessary 50kmh speed limit. Likewise the Desfiladero de Despenaperros at the entrance to Andalusia. Amazingly the Spanish are building a second, high-level motorway to supplement the mountain pass motorway.

There is obviously no shortage of Euro-cash for Spanish infrastructure. The new A44 between Granada and Motril through the high peaks of the Sierra Nevada is like something out of an Alpine fantasy, as is the new AP1 between Vitoria Gasteiz and San Sebastian. It is all super smooth, super wide, curvacious, ascending and descending, viaduct across valley then tunnel through mountain. And best of all, these toll roads are traffic free: one can use the whole road to carry speed.

No record breaking as I was motoring by myself and did not want to lose the car. However, on Saturday I was able to leave our holiday house very near to Comares in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada at 7.15am and arrive in San Sebastian by 2.45pm with at least 45minutes off for fuel and lunch: a very little under 1,000km (625miles) in 7h30, only 6h45 on the road.

I undoubtedly drove the finest miles of my motoring life on one particular Spanish route. Heading north from junction 142 of the A7, the A377 to Gaucin then the A369 to Ronda, then the A397 back down to Marbella made an amazing route. Barely any traffic. Eating and drinking opportunities at the delightful towns of Gaucin, Algatocin and Ronda. And just perfect tarmac. You must drive this route before you die!

My round trip mileage was 4,046. I have no idea how much petrol I used: a lot, although on the outbound leg I was getting 26mpg.

I hope this wasn't too boring for you all.

The usual pictures follow below.

The Viaduct at Millau:

The descent of the Gorges de Herault:

My 8th century hotel in Alarcon:

Desfiladero de Despenaperros:

The A-class hire car (do you have these in America?) an ideal supplementary vehicle for when 2 seats are insufficient:

A meat wagon, ha ha ha:

Africa:

Mountain roads, Gibralta in the background in the first:

Heading home, dawn over the Sierra Nevada:
1993 E300 diesel T
1990 190