View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malty123 View Post
HI all......

i've recently purchased a 1996 320sl and the orange rollbar warning light is lit on the dash and the led in the roll bar button is flashing....

everything works fine...windows roof and roll bar all operate from the switches

I took it to the dealer who read the codes and said it needs a replacement soft top control unit

i bought a replacement unit from someone breaking the same car, put this in but now nothing works, soft top or roll bar, the orange warning light is still on, the led in the roll bar button is now permanantly lit, and also the soft top switch is now lit red?????????

I've read through lots of previous posts but cant find anything similar..

can anyone help

thanks in advance
With the original controller, did you push and hold the rollover bar switch for 10 sec until you hear it click for a reset? Then raise and lower the bar with that same switch and see if the lights go out.

Why did they say you need a new controller? The first thing I would have done would be to take it to an Indy who has an advanced diagnostic tool like the STAR Diagnostic Scan tool and read and erase any/all codes for about $50.00 in the US.

There are 3 different p/n's for a 1996 R129 RST controller. You probably need the same p/n. Did you match the p/n with your cars p/n?

p/n 129820 3126

p/n 129820 3226

p/n 129820 3926

For a good review and a $375.00 rebuilt RST controller w/ a lifetime warranty check out http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/Products.aspx?category=633
Attached Thumbnails
roll bar control unit-soft-top-dtc.jpg