View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 02:45 PM

primer pump only pushes air- how to purge air from diesel generator?

I apologize for this being a non-mercedes specific diesel tech question, but I am a somewhat regular on this forum and know there are plenty of well educated individuals who could help me with my issue. I am having fuel starvation problems, after hours of continous running it will randomly start to bog down and then stall.

i have an older non-idi diesel generator. It has a mitsubishi 4cyl turbo engine from 1980's vintage Mitsubishi canter (australian truck) engine. It has 2 screw on fuel filters and a primer hand pump on the injection pump.

When this happens and I try to re-prime it, usually the hand pump doesn't feel to have any resistence which is telling it is only pushing air into the injection pump. i immediately replaced the hand primer with a new bosch spare (for my 617 mercedes) hoping it was the issue. So I figured to post a question here since this engine shares at least a few common components with our mercedes diesels.

I think gravity might be my culprit. My fuel tank is about 4 feet below the primer pump (as well as the rest of the engine) and the only way I have ever had any sucess it to loosen the hand primer, and rig up a setup to pressurize my fuel tank until I notice fuel coming from the hand primer, quickly tighten it, and pump, which is not easy to do. My fuel hoses are a little old but seem to be intact. I'll replace them.

Does this make any sense or am I way off? Can anybody suggest a solution? I don't have too much experience with diesel generators, or anything non-automotive. My business depends on reliable operation of this generator.
previous
1985 126 300SD
1982 123 300TD
1995 140 s600
1969 gto cabriolet
some VW tdi's
1990s saab 9000 aeros
1991 celica GT4 st185
lots GM