View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcphee View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go any firmer than Bilstein comforts which went into my 1987 w124 300D. No HD for me thanks. I changed out my rears mostly in doubt of previous shock age and condition, and since I replaced all 4 rear suspension links on each side I didn't want those new rubber bushings to be the main damping factor... and wear out too quickly again. So, new shocks.

The old shocks were marked with both Mercedes and Bilstein names stamped on them, could have been original for all I know (196K mile). They were not shot, but maybe 50% easier to compress by hand than the new comforts. I also noticed the old shocks were "upsidedown" (the piston bar direction orientation w.r.t. the car) compared to new Bilstein comforts.

With Bilstein comforts right away I noticed much more bump transmission from the road, and more audible tire noise over pavement imperfections. Every tar-filled crack running across the road is "whack - whack" and a noticed vibration. All of which used be muted thuds and almost no perceptible vibration with my "shot" shocks.

My advice? If you love a smooth ride and cruisin' highway miles and you're not bounding up and down in oscillations after hitting a bump... and your shocks have life in 'em I recommend staying put. I never knew how this car drove new, so can't compare any shock replacement to that. But comforts is enough for me.
Are your tires set to the recommended pressures?

Once I got mine right all the rough riding symptoms you just described went away.

I trust MB and their tire pressure recommendations.

On the blown shocks and struts I had on there I had to air up the tires to keep it from wallowing so much in corners and in high wind days.

With the correct tire pressures I am sure that most of what you describe will go away or be significantly lessened.

The correct tire pressures can be found in the driver door jam and in the fuel door.