View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfeitshans View Post

My questions to you'll, is 1) based on the information I gave, would you concur with the mechanic that the car needs a new vacuum pump? 2) being of average intelligence, no mechanical background, no knowledge of tools, basically a blank state; what are the chances that individual could self-teach and correctly make a major repair? ...........

........Any other advice would be greatly appreciated: is this the right forum for me?
Thank you
In answering to the 1st question, if I assume that the mechanic is correct in his diagnosis, $800 is not a bad price if he will replace it with a new Vac Pump.

If you plan to be a W123 owner (thats the body style of your 300D), unless you have a lot of money to spare, it would be a good idea to know how to work on the car. Most of the time and $$ involved is during initial ownership as there will always be something that needs to be done on the car until you get it to a point where everything is fixed. Depending on how the car was cared for, most of the issues with these cars are not terribly bad to fix for the DIYer. This forum will be very helpful.

However, you will need the TIME to get your feet wet in learning the hows. This may be a bit tough if you are a student.

The vac pump is not difficult to work on. Its fairly easy to remove and inspect. Its a pretty sturdy component but due to use, some components inside it may have broken especially when miles are high. Repair kits are available online.

Its also possible that this is not the problem of you car. IIRC, the pump should be pulling 21-23 in Hg of pressure.

If you can find a W123 forum member in the Reading or nearby area, that would be a plus. Otherwise, I would consider getting a vehicle that can "hit the ground running" that you don't have to mess with (Honda, Toyota,.....?)
96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta
78 Nova
Ford Cortina
Opel Kadet
68 Kombi
Contessa

Last edited by tobybul; 10-25-2009 at 06:56 AM.