View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiesel300TD View Post
The springs are supposed to maintain unloaded ride height, which also happens to be where the lever arm is level with the ground. But when the springs get tired they cause the rear to sag, which causes/forces the SLS system to maintain the unloaded ride height, keeping the lever arm in the level position. In a system with worn springs and no leaks the SLS system will maintain the unloaded ride height all the time. But if you have a leak in the system the rear will sag down until the springs are holding the height. Then when the car is started up the system pressurizes again and the rear lifts up.
With that said you can change the ride height using the SLS system, but you are causing the SLS to hold the unloaded height not the springs.

If your rear is settling with the rod attached, dispite what it does when it's not attached, the valve is leaking. It can leak internally which allows the SLS fluid to flow when it's not supposed to.

I think I now understand the comments about setting the arm level...you mean set it level when the system is not pressurized at all, being at the bottom of the range which is where the springs are supporting the rear end. That, in theory, should be the correct height unless the springs are worn/sagging. I always set mine up by using the SLS to maintain an acceptable height which was higher than that which is why I could not understand why you kept saying set the arm level since the arm is always level if the system is functioning.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz