View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfazekas View Post
Well I bought a '95 nearly two years ago and if I weren't reasonably handy, this car would have cost a fortune. While it looks great, there is soo much engineering in this car, I would suggest you think about it twice. Make sure you find a very qualified MB mechanic familiar with the car to check it out first. I know this, there are engine wiring issues with the SL and others in the 90 to 95 yrs but I also know that cars in the 96-98 have had issues as well. I new harness will cost about $770 in material and than there is labor. My labor is free but the MB mechanic at the dealer is about $110 per hr. The convertible top hydraulics have been a problem. Very expensive to fix unless you can do yourself. The A/C heater core will leak freon at some point, it is behind the dash and you have to remove the dash to get to this. The labor is somewhere around 24 hrs. but the parts aren't too expensive. Believe me, I love my car, but I think I would have been better off with a domestic sports car. Check the cost of one fuel injector or a replacement computer module.....

This forum is about the best place to get info on this car. One bad thing about the MB line is the general lack of workshop manuals available to DIYers. The CD-ROMs and the ALLData info comes up way short unless one of the Pro's online here decide to help you out.

Steve
How does the heater core leak freon? Are you refering to the AC evaporator?
Does the R129 suffer from this problem as well as the W140?