View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattchaney View Post
No problem, thanks for the link! If you need any info/advice I might be able to help out. I work at a dealership but mostly do 210 chassis and newer stuff. That being said I have access to our library and a couple of old guys. What year is her car?
It a 1991 300D 2.5 Turbo. Being rank amateurs in the local MBCA club, neither of us knew where to start looking since we don't have a service manual and MB doesn't sell it anymore. I know Startek info offers a subscription, but based on what I found in a bootleg copy of the service manual we didn't have confidence that it would help. Basically the turbo won't engage at all, it has a large oil leak on the passenger side of the engine around the mounting bolts for the egr housing, and it appears to be burning a lot of oil with white smoke coming intermittently out the exhaust. But when we checked the oil level it appears fine, and when my friend took off the oil filler cap and placed his hand over the hole, he couldn't feel any pressure, which I'm told is a quick way to check for leaking head gasket. Engine has 275K and needs a timing chain and overhaul, so we're getting ready for it. Any advice appreciated,