View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Cascade Foothill Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
The question back to you is whether you're trying to avoid cost or work. If I could trust someone to do a good job for $80, I've done enough tranny servicing that I don't care to go back down there. But it's a chance to check for leaks, condition of shift rod bushings, flex disks, etc.

Dexron II or III is good. It's hard to tell what you're getting at parts stores these days since no one uses Dexron III in labels anymore. Even Mobil 1 no longer sells ATF with a distinct claim to be Dex III compatible. There's a synthetic version of Dex II available from Redline or one of the other reputable synthetic oil brewers. The really meticulous MB owners I know use synthetic Dex II.

Mind how you fill the tranny. Initial fill is only what you drained from the pan and maybe a quart more. Fill the rest a little at a time with the engine running checking the dipstick frequently until the fluid is about 10mm (each application has a specific gap) below the cold mark. Get the transmission to operating temperature and top off as necessary.

Sixto
87 300D
The purpose of my post was to query the forum and determine what is the safest option. Of course, saving money is ideal, but if my tranny fails down the line because of contamination, or if the pan starts leaking because I fargled it up trying to torque it on with my waffle-iron sized mitts, or some other god-awful outcome that would be unforeseen on my part, at least I will know where I went wrong. Where if I just leave it to the dealer or the indie and blindly deal with the potential aftermath I mnight be out a perfectly good rebuilt tranny. Since my initial post, I have learned that MB is OK with dexron (I assumed otherwise) and flushing may not be necessary since I have relatively clean fluid/filter.
Thanks to all for their input!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/...0bb92d3c_m.jpg http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/o...g?t=1325284354

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
- Albert Einstein

take a walk down memory lane...